Arrival airport: Zagreb (ZAG)
Departure airport: Zagreb (ZAG)
No. of wineries visited:8
Zagreb – Plešivica - Međimurje – Moslavina – Podravina – Osijek - Zagreb
This truly is the tour for those looking to experience untouched Croatia. The rugged and mysterious interior of Croatia is full of delicious wines, history, and a festival celebrating something practically every day of the week.
We start though in Croatia’s capital Zagreb. Once a stop on the Orient Express, this medieval city will charm you with its old city walls, imposing cathedral, and great restaurants. You will be thrown into Croatian cuisine, with a visit to the famous Dolac market, and many, many samples of cheeses, charcuterie and, of course, wines. Perhaps you would like to round off the day with a little Šljivovica or Loza – a distillery can come and let us into their secrets.
Then venture out into the wilds of continental Croatia, its most unspoiled and unexplored region. Local hostelries, family owned restaurants and tucked away vineyards are ready to welcome you - this not a place for generic chain hotels and restaurants - and is beautiful any time of the year. From Spring when there is still snow on the mountain tops, the vineyards bursting into life, through the warm, balmy evenings of summer, to end in the stunning colors of autumn and the excitement of harvest. Natural hot springs and fairytale castles abound and we enjoy the warm hospitality of the people.
In this relatively undeveloped region there are few other travelers around as we follow the wine road to hidden wineries and discover what is swiftly becoming known as the area for quality wines in Croatia. For wine buffs, it's truly one of the most exciting regions of the whole country, if not the world, with the wines produced here taking award ceremonies by storm. The Danube, Drava, and Sava rivers provide steep banks for the vines to cling to, making hand harvest almost compulsory, and providing sweeping views of the fertile plains to the south. This is the home of, amongst others, the Graševina grape with all its floral freshness, the rich Frankovka, releasing its deep forest fruits to you, and some stunning sparkling wines.
We return to Zagreb for our last night, successful explorers all, and having earned the bragging rights of having been in the know.
Arrival & Day 1
- Arrival in Zagreb, collection and transfer to Hotel Palace or similar. Welcome dinner in local restaurant can be arranged. Overnight in Zagreb.
- Morning tour of Dolac market. After lunch, depart Zagreb towards Plesivica area, visiting two wineries throughout the afternoon, including Tomac sparkling wine. Return to Zagreb. Beer Alley and relaxed dinner. Overnight in Zagreb.
- Morning departure to Medjimurje. Three vineyard visits with lunch in-between at Mala Hiža or similar. Return to and overnight in Zagreb at Hotel Palace or similar. Free evening to explore. Dinner can be concierged but is not included.
- Morning departure to Moslavina and Virovitica-Podravina. Four wineries visited with lunch in-between. Overnight in Osijek
- Explore Osijek and the Wine Road. Three vineyard visits with lunch at a local restaurant. Dinner and overnight in Osijek at Hotel Osijek or similar.
Day 5 & Departure Day
- Continue exploring the areas vineyards, culminating with a visit and lunch at Hotel Zdjelarević.
- Return to Zagreb and overnight at Hotel Palace or similar. Farewell dinner in local restaurant.
- After breakfast, last chance to box up your purchases for sending home before departing for Zagreb airport.