Arrival airport: Zagreb (ZAG)
Departure airport: Zagreb (ZAG)
No. of wineries visited:15
Zagreb – Samobar – Plešivica - Međimurje – Moslavina – Podravina – Osijek - Zagreb
This truly is the tour for those looking to experience untouched Croatia. The rugged and mysterious interior of Croatia is full of delicious wines, history, and a festival celebrating something practically every day of the week.
We start though in Croatia’s capital Zagreb. Once a stop on the Orient Express, this medieval city will charm you with its old city walls, imposing cathedral, and great restaurants. You will be thrown into Croatian cuisine, with a visit to the famous Dolac market, a cooking class, and many, many samples of cheeses, charcuterie and, of course, wines. All this would not be complete without a little Šljivovica or Loza – a distillery will come and let us into their secrets.
Then venture out into the wilds of continental Croatia, its most unspoiled and unexplored region. Delicious sparkling wines, natural hot springs and fairytale castles, full of myths and legends, are yours to discover. We enjoy the warm hospitality of the people, join in the almost daily festivals, and eat hearty fare.
For wine buffs, this is truly one of the most exciting regions in the whole country, if not the world, with the wines produced here taking award ceremonies by storm. The Danube and Sava rivers provide steep banks for the vines to cling to, making hand harvest almost compulsory, and providing sweeping views of the fertile plains to the south. This is the home of the Graševina grape and all its floral freshness, as well as the rich Frankovka, releasing its deep forest fruits to you. Earn yourself bragging rights to having been in the know before the crowds arrive.
We return to Zagreb for our last night, successful explorers all.
Days 1 - 3
- Arrival in Zagreb, collection and transfer to Hotel Palace or similar. Welcome dinner in local restaurant. Overnight in Zagreb.
- Morning tour of Zagreb, including the cathedral and Dolac market. Cooking class with wine pairing. After lunch, a distillery presentation. Beer Alley and relaxed dinner. Overnight in Zagreb.
- Free morning. Meet at lunch with a winery presentation. Cheese or olive oil tasting. Dinner with a vertical tasting of a premiere label at Bornstein. Overnight in Zagreb.
Days 4 - 5
- Depart Zagreb towards Samobar for cake. Tour Plesivica area, visiting three wineries throughout the day, including Tomac sparkling wine. Lunch in between at Grešna Gorcia. Arrive in Samobar to overnight at Hotel Livadić or similar. Free evening to explore. Dinner can be concierged but is not included.
- Visit Varaždin and Trakoščan Castle. Lunch and visit two wineries in Hrvastsko Zagorje. Free evening to explore. Dinner can be concierged but is not included. Overnight in Samobar.
Days 6 - 7
- Morning departure to Medjimurje. Two vineyard visits with lunch in-between at Mala Hiža or similar. Return to and overnight in Zagreb at Hotel Palace or similar. Free evening to explore. Dinner can be concierged but is not included.
- Morning departure to Moslavina and Virovitica-Podravina. Four wineries visited with lunch in-between. Return to Zagreb for dinner. Overnight in Zagreb
Days 8 - 9
- Morning departure to Osijek and the Wine Road. Three vineyard visits with lunch at a local restaurant. Dinner and overnight in Osijek at Hotel Osijek or similar.
- Continue exploring the areas vineyards, culminating with a visit and lunch at Hotel Zdjelarević. Return to Zagreb and overnight at Hotel Palace or similar. Farewell dinner in local restaurant.
- After breakfast, last chance to box up your purchases for sending home before departing for Zagreb airport.